Friday, September 28, 2007

The baby is sleeping. I'll try and get all this in before she decides its time to eat again.

I went into labor Saturday night/Sunday morning. We went to the hospital late Saturday night but got sent home because I wasn't dialating any further. The doctor sent me with a sleeping pill so that I could get some rest because he said I was definitely on my way and I needed my rest. The second we got home though, I was in true labor. I couldn't sleep, even with the drugs. We got back to the hospital at 4:30am Sunday morning. They were so busy, we sat in triage for 3 hours before a nurse came and checked on me, put a fetal monitor on, checked my blood pressure, anything. The resident doctor finally came and checked me at 8:30, I was 5 centimeters dialated, so they decided to admit me. Needless to say, I'd been having contractions 2-3 minutes apart most of the night and the entire time we were in the hospital. Because they admited me so late, I had to wait for my blood work to be run before I could have an epidural. Once I got drugs, life was good! Marc and I both got to sleep some during the day. And then she came at 7:25pm. I started pushing around 5, but my doctor had 2 or 3 back to back c-sections, so we had to wait. But I think if she had been available, Sofia would have been here sooner.

The hospital was so busy, there were no post-partum rooms available. We stayed in Labor and Delivery longer than normal and then when they really needed the room they sent us back to triage for a day, and then finally got moved to post partum for a day. Just to give you an idea, 20 babies were born in a 24 hour period, Saturday night to Sunday night. And Labor and Delivery only has 12 rooms. My induction that was scheduled for Monday would have been pushed back again. We still wouldn't have this baby. Its a good thing she decided to come on her own!

Oh, and there are new photos on the picassa website.


Andee said...

Wow, you sound so calm about it. I probably would have threatened to have the baby on the floor if they didn't admit me RIGHT NOW. You're a hero. She's beautiful.

Becky, Dave, and Gretchen said...

That's a lot of babies! I'm glad that she decided to come on her own too! Congratulations!!